I grew up in an environment where no one really cares to know about your future goals and plans… we just woke up every day and pursue our daily lives without a clear direction of what to do with the future. Occasionally, I and my friends would excite ourselves with some day-dreaming statements like “I want to be a doctor”, “I want to be the richest man”, “I want to be ‘this’ or ‘that.’” It was after my secondary school years at the point of writing “UTME” (Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination) I realized, I really don’t know what to do with my life or at least what to study at the university even though I was a brilliant student. By God’s grace, the brain and intelligence were there but what to do with it, I know not.
The same can be said of many students and youths in our society today. They are young, talented, energetic, and even hardworking but lacked direction about what to do with their future. My interaction with several teenagers and youths on the issue of purpose and what career to pursue via their choice of subject at the institution of higher learning reveals that most are just day-dreaming or confused like I was many years ago. The resultant effects of this confusion over what to study at the higher institution have forced many to waste precious time, writing exams and pursuing courses that do not fit their personalities and general nature and ultimately ended up with a frustrated life. Our higher institutions of learning have churned out many frustrated and confused graduates as a result of this ‘foundational’ problem which was not addressed on time or in the proper way.
I have therefore chosen, with this article to dissect the causes of this big issue among numerous youths and proffer a lasting solution. When the source of a problem is known, the solution is in sight. Read on…
1. The number one cause of this problem is lack of knowledge. The society is filled with millions of people who are ignorant of themselves, and what they exist for. Most times, people just pursue anything they feel is good for them without having proper knowledge of the principles behind what they want or are doing. The same goes for many students and youths. They just attend schools and classes for many years mostly for only the grades. They are not bothered with issues about discovering who they were until crucial times, such as when they need to decide what course to fill in their ‘JAMB’ forms. I have met students who have never heard of the word ‘temperament’ all their lives. Definitely, such would not know the role of temperaments or personality traits when it comes to making certain decisions that affect their career and other areas of their lives. The “Knowledge” they say is power. So pursue knowledge about yourself, natural inclinations, desires, your environment, etc. via books, movies, seminars, and the likes. The popular ancient aphorism from the Greeks would help summarize this point- ‘Know thyself’.
2. Too many ‘advisers’ with different opinions. Many students have become victims of misinformed ‘advisers’ in the name of seeking for counsels. They have ended up with a more confused mind as a result of listening to such advisers. Rather than these ‘advisers’ focusing more on the internal factors such as the nature of the person, temperaments, and talents, they have concentrated on external factors like the economy and prospects. The truth is, external factors are always changing. The economy that is blooming today can regress to recession tomorrow. It is not right to advice a youth to choose a field of study based on its economic value alone. I stand to be corrected, but I believe every field of study is capable of producing wealth if we know how to add innovative ideas to such. After all, Sam Adeyemi once said “Ideas Rule The World.” The likes of Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos have used innovative ideas and technology to change the face of human interaction and business across the globe. I remember a neighbor of mine who once advised me as a teenager to study Economics at the University so I could work in the banking industry and because of my brilliance in school. He never considered my lack of interest in Mathematics which is a core requirement for anyone intending to study economics. Students must, therefore, be wary of those advising them because not all ‘advisers’ are truly informed, up-to-date and sincere. It is not a crime to seek for counsels but beware of who is advising you and the information you are being given as advice.
3. Wrong Parental Influence. This is one of the toughest challenges many youths are facing when it comes to choosing a course of study. Some parents have led many of their wards astray due to undue ‘parental dictatorship’. Some have forcefully enrolled their children for courses that sooth their own selfish interests rather than considering the interests of those children. I have met students who confessed to me that their parents want them to study medicine, law, or engineering even when they actually prefer another field entirely; one of such even said: “My uncle told me I must become a lawyer because we need one in our family”. Can you imagine that? A young boy once asked me to talk his mum…he wanted to be a fine artist but the mother is insisting on accounting. All these will no doubt bring confusion, frustration and even inferiority complex to such youths because they might end up struggling with what they are not designed for. It is important for parents and guardians to allow these children to decide what is good for them. As parents, your role is to guide not forcing them to become what you want them to be, which most times they are not interested in. Everything God created is designed to ‘flow’ with ease. For instance, take the fishes in the sea or the birds in the sky, they ‘enjoy’ themselves by flowing in their various environment because of their inbuilt ‘configurations’. The moment you take a fish out of the river, the struggle begins. Most people struggle today because they have redesigned themselves by leaving their original ‘environment’ where they truly belong. …
4. Indecision caused by fear. Fear is the number one killer of potentials in most people. Many have doubted their capacity to succeed in certain fields of study due to fear, hence, they ended up with indecision which prevented them from acting when they should. They have erroneously believed some fields are not for them… Young people, these days are faced with indecision caused by fear of the unknown. Questions and statements such as “Can I really do this course?” “Will I succeed if I embark on this course?” “I don’t even know what to do…” and the likes have paralyzed the potentials of many students and rendered them confused due to fear. As a student, it is important you gather necessary information about your choice of course at the institution of higher learning and face such with determination. Nothing great is ever achieved without determination, courage, and discipline. Successful people always have stories behind their successes. Faith empowers the mind to face the challenges of life. A wise man has said that ‘Fear’ is ‘false evidence appearing real’. So don’t cripple yourself with indecision because of fear. Rise and Go after your dreams!
5. The absence of career counselors and students’ support programs.
Many of our schools especially government-owned do not have career counselors nor encourage students’ support programs. Throughout my six years in secondary school, I never set my eye on any career counselor talk less about experiencing any career development programs. The story today is not too different. Several students I have met and counseled over the years confessed they are not sure whether they have any in their schools. If the presence of a person is not felt anywhere, it is as good as being unavailable. Lack of, or inadequate career development or students support programs for youths also contribute to the confusion being experienced by these students later in life. The foundation was laid with carelessness and negligence while most youths build their lives with no sense of purpose and eventually experience frustration later in life.
Government and private schools’ owners should engage more career counselors in our public schools and encourage career and students’ support programs through seminars and various publications. This will go a long way in solving the problems of career choice confusion and the menace of vices being perpetuated by undisciplined youths with no future goals and ambition that is currently increasing in our society.
Having ‘diagnosed’ few top reasons why students and youths generally face confusion over their choice of career, let me introduce you to the number 1 solution to your career choice troubles! The solution I am offering is a book I have packaged as a solution for the problems you are experiencing over your choice of future career. Inside this book are principles, germane points and success capsules that would guide you to make a fulfilling career choice. If you will take action today, you will definitely thank your star you did.
“Me and My Future Career” book was written primarily for students in secondary schools, Pre-university candidates (JAMB-UTME, IJMB, JUPEB students, etc.), undergraduate students in tertiary institutions to help them discover their career paths early in life, and secondarily for parents, career counselors, and anyone with passion for knowledge with pictures to buttress the explanations and many more.
This book has helped thousands of students and youths with lots of positive testimonials and I am sure it would help you too. All you just need is to purchase a copy for yourself, read and take necessary actions. If you are a parent, aunt or uncle with younger ones or teenagers, you would do well by helping these young minds discover their career paths with ease by getting a copy for them.
I am currently running a promo this week, so I have decided to slash the price which is originally valued at N2, 500 to N1, 500 and also give you a special gift which is a free copy of my recent book which was written to help UTME candidates (“JAMB” Students) to know what to do before, during and after the UTME and POST-UTME in order to gain university admission faster! Yes, you heard me right. If you buy “Me and My Future Career” book within this week for just N1, 500, I will give you a copy of “University Admission Capsules” book which is valued at N2, 000 all for FREE! But if you fail to take advantage of this opportunity within this period, I will revert the books’ prices to their initial prices and there won’t be any promo for a long time. So “Make hay while the sun shines”.
Inside “Me and My Future Career” book, you will discover the following and much more:
- The meaning of Career and the elements of a Career.
- The Internal factors that determine your career choice no matter who you are. These factors affect all of us.
- The Environmental factors that affect your career choice irrespective of where you live.
- Analysis and explanation of over forty-five (45) different courses or field of study with their prospects, subject requirements and duration in Institutions of Higher Learning, i.e. what it takes to study your course and what jobs you could do with it later after graduation.
- The universal obstacles to career fulfillment and how you can overcome them if you want to be truly fulfilled in life.
- The benefits of O’ Level Results (WASSCE, NECO, GCE, etc.) apart from using it for admission into tertiary institutions which many students don’t pay attention to.
- How to overcome any addiction.
- Tips on studying abroad (If you desire to school abroad with scholarships).
- And lots more!
If you order for your copy today and read it, I assure you that you will find it easy to discover which course of study to opt for in the higher institution, you will understand yourself better and ultimately, you will have a fulfilling career in the future all other things being equal.
Remember, successful people, do TODAY and ALWAYS what the average people do occasionally.
Order for your copy today and get the book below for free by clicking here.
VALUED @ N2, 000
BUT YOU WILL GET IT FREE IF YOU BUY “ME AND MY FUTURE CAREER” BOOK WITHIN THE NEXT 5 DAYS!
WHY YOU NEED “UNIVERSITY ADMISSION CAPSULES” BOOK
Securing admission to higher institutions in Nigeria has become an insurmountable task for many UTME candidates who yearly write the UTME without success. Some have become “regular customers” of JAMB, while many out of frustration have given up on their dreams due to low self-esteem, depression, and frustration encountered by failing at every attempt made at securing university admission. They have stopped believing in themselves.
To secure admission to your choice of institution in Nigeria today, it takes more than just writing or sitting for the UTME, otherwise known as “JAMB” You must know what to do before, during and after the UTME for you not to miss your opportunity for admission in any year. If you don’t know, let me tell you this secret – YOU ARE COMPETING WITH MORE THAN ONE MILLION CANDIDATES LIKE YOU for the same admission slot, so you must do something different from the general norm!
I have met many students who are taking wrong and careless steps towards the UTME and their general admission process. “UNIVERSITY ADMISSION CAPSULES” is therefore written to help every UTME candidate to be better armed with the necessary and relevant information on what to do in order to secure their admission faster whether you are writing UTME this year or next.
IN THIS GREAT BOOK, YOU WILL DISCOVER…
- The Number One FACTOR / SECRET that separates successful students from others. It’s not hard work as many think.
- Why I wrote “JAMB” three times, and what you can learn from my experience.
- What you need to DO before registering for UTME
- What you need to DO during the preparation for UTME
- What you need to DO on the D-day (of the examination)
- What you need to DO after the UTME examination
- The God Factor in everything we do.
Come to think of it, won’t you rather invest a small token into your future or that of your child’s, and academic advancement today by spending a small amount of money which is nothing (compare to what we spend on Pizza, recharge cards, ice-cream, movie or concert tickets, shawarma, etc. on weekly basis), and reap a future of bliss coupled with academic excellence, success strides, confidence, progress and all-round fulfillment? Just think about it for a second. Pay the price today, and enjoy later or ignore the opportunity today and lament later? The choice is yours to make.
Many frustrated graduates and undergraduates abound in our society and various campuses today due to wrong choices of a career which was made without relevant information. You can avoid the same mistake today and save yourself from years of frustrations and unfulfillment rooted in failure and sorrow by making the right choice of going after relevant information for your academic and career success through “Me and My Future Career” Book.
Click here to get access today
Still not convinced about this great book yet? then hear the testimonies of fellow youths like you here